Let’s face it, most of us have experienced the day after Thanksgiving turkey hangover, when we wake up on Friday morning feeling like stuffed turkeys ourselves. We get so caught up in football and holiday cheer that the second helping of stuffing and mashed potatoes goes down virtually unnoticed… until January that is. The day after Thanksgiving is also the day when most of us begin rationalizing our way out of regular exercise or sticking to our “normal” routine blaming it on our busier than usual schedules, after work get-togethers, or hectic holiday shopping. We promise our inner critic that we will go hard in January and then give ourselves permission to kick our feet up and hunker down for the season.
But we need not surrender completely. Here are five gentle, yet efficient yoga poses that pack a punch when it comes to detoxing and energizing. Spend just a few minutes with each pose before leaping into the holiday shopping vortex and you will have more stamina then the energizer bunny to out-shop even the most seasoned holiday shopper – and look good while doing it!
These five key poses focus on your circulatory, digestive and lymphatic systems, all major players in removing toxins from your body.
1. Downward dog – encourages blood circulation and moves fluids through the lymph nodes
2. Chair twists – aids in digestion and stimulates removal of waste
3. Seated spinal twist – aids in digestion and elimination of waste
4. Locust – strengthens back, massages internal organs and improves digestion
5. Headstand – Removes toxins in the circulatory and lymphatic systems. (*added bonus – fresh blood flow to face gives you a fresh glow).
Hold each pose for 5 complete breaths and end with savasana – deep relaxation pose. You will feel rejuvenated, energized and ready to tackle anything that the hectic holiday season throws at you. Namaste.