As San Franciscans, we owe it to ourselves to get back to authentic neighborhood experiences! Why? Because neighborhood classics are few and far between these days, and we’ve got to give it up to those that carry the torch!
Cassava, an Outer Richmond neighborhood gem, gives us all the reasons to keep our taste buds open for an authentic city experience. It’s cozy, friendly, and so San Francisco. Cassava was conceived from the husband and wife team, Chef Kristoffer Toliao and Yuka Ioroi. Chef Kris, who trained at Kaiseki restaurant in Tokyo and has cooked under Dominique Crenn, incorporates fresh ingredients from land and sea from the most dedicated purveyors in the Bay Area with fine dining cooking techniques.
But before we get to a farm-to-table amazing dinner, first thing’s first: Every Wednesday during dinner service, each bottle of wine is half price at the neighborhood restaurant. Pair your vintage of choice with one of Chef Kristoffer Toliao’s menu items which include Cassava’s Fried Chicken with jalapeno aioli; Sweet Potato Potage, croutons, seasoned cauliflower, lime pickled shallot; Maine Scallops, black trumpet mushrooms, chickweed, sunchoke chips; Slow Braised Short Ribs, celery root pureé, pickled shiitake, dandelion, herb spice crumble, polenta cake; and more. Have a look at the full dinner menu.
There is also an option of the 4-course Tasting Menu for $48 per guest with beverage pairings available. Vegetarians and vegans will find that a few simple adjustments can be made.
And puh-leeze save room for dessert! The Lemon Posset will be calling your name well after. And if you want to try something a little more comforting, go for the bread pudding. It will be extra if you choose the tasting menu, but just do it! Not that you need more convincing, but here are all the other reasons we know you’ll adore Cassava:
1. Cocktails are amazing alchemy; try one of their herbacious specialties!
2. Order a bottle sake with dinner, and do take their recommendations!
3. Sit at the Chef’s table if you can. You can’t see all of the action from there, but it’s still a pretty sweet spot right next to the window that offers a little more privacy than the main dining area.
4. We love the coziness of this restaurant, and we do recommend a reservation.
5. Do it for Wine Wednesdays! When hump day hits, you’ll thank us for all bottles that are 50% off!