Few celebrations in the world can capture the magic that is Festival Del Sole. The ten-day celebration of the art of life, staged in iconic Napa Valley, blends the world’s finest classical, jazz, opera, theater and dance artists with curated culinary, wine and fitness pursuits.
This year’s festival will feature more than 60 cultural adventures for every interest, including fabulous fêtes to kick off the first week, festival “firsts” to glide you through opening weekend, a centerpiece celebration at Meadowood Gala, vintner lunches, patron dinners, world-class performances and too many surprises in store to mention. Here are our top 10:
1. July 17th – Opening night festivities at Castello di Amorosa, with hosted pre-concert receptions atop the castle tower and in the winery’s Great Hall. Guests are then invited into the courtyard for a concert starring soprano Deborah Voigt, who will will perform a very personal collection of famous arias and American Songbook classics with pianist Brian Zeger.
2. July 17th – Wake up bright and early to the first annual 5K & 10K Sun Run benefitting Napa County arts education programs.
3. July 17th – Food and wine lovers have a golden opportunity to enjoy a festival signature event, A Taste of Napa, which introduces a new culinary competition to complement tastings from 70 wineries, restaurants and food artisans.
4. July 17th – The evening’s concert will premiere new choral works by Gordon Getty, along with Beethoven’s monumental Ninth Symphony, culminating in the famous “Ode to Joy.”
5. July 19th – One of the festival’s most glamorous celebrations, The Festival Gala at Meadowood Napa Valley. This year’s event, themed Hollywood + Vine, will feature the star power of two-time Oscar Award winner Kevin Spacey!
6. July 23 – A once-in-a-lifetime Jazz concert at Castello di Amorosa on July 23. Legendary trumpeter and nine-time Grammy Award-winner Herb Alpert and his wife, Grammy Award-winning singer Lani Hall, make their Festival del Sole debut in a night of sublime jazz, American Songbook favorites and Brazilian rhythms.
7. July 23 – The evening of Jazz will be followed by what is sure to be a spectacular patron dinner at Charlie Palmer’s newest restaurant, Harvest Table.
8. July 25th – Rise and shine to yoga in the vineyard at Solage Calistoga.
9. July 25th – The evening holds a fun festival twist when a surprise celebrity cast will take the stage at Lincoln Theater during Festival Live: Pinot Noir UnScripted, a completely improvised play by Impro Theatre.
10. July 26th – The Grand Finale performance by The Russian National Orchestra and superstar violinist Midori, followed by the closing Patron dinner at Odette Estate, prepared by Meadowood Napa Valley.